Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

The Lost Art of Gold Stars



It's been awhile since I last published a blog post. I started this blog as a way to challenge myself to seek out, remember, and share extra cool things I discover each day. Especially those "Ah hah!" moments-- You know, the kind where you make a mind-blowing, out of body connection with some newly revealed information, and then promptly lose the moment forever? That's what I want to avoid.

Despite being the world's least consistent blogger, I haven't actually forgotten or given up on writing- (cerea-ously). Having been out of the academic world for a while now, I found myself sitting at my little work desk wondering "What in the world I had actually been learning recently?? Why do I have nothing interesting to discuss??" I racked my brain forever (a solid 5 minutes at least I'd say), but the truth is, I couldn't come up with anything! Then the sadness hit me. "Am I not learning anymore?! Am I not paying attention to the intriguing world around me?" NO, Audrey, YOU'RE NOT.

Okay that might be a little tough. But I did realize that now more than ever I have to seek out new information. In school, it's presented to you. Not anymore! That said, I am hereby making major efforts to consciously seek out new information, explore, and document it on my own accord.

And although I failed to conjure up a mystifyingly profound blog article for today, I decided to come up with a list of equally important adult-tasks I've undertaken that shouldn't go unnoticed. Less glamorous than weird-science and steamy pop culture news, yes, but no less deserving of mention. Anyone out there attempting new things and going beyond the 'routine' definitely gets a handful of gold stars from me!! So here's to some small motivation to break through the boring, dull, repetitive life that can define adulthood.

And without further adieu, here are the Gold Stars I'm presenting myself:
  • Figuring out the bus system in a new city (only waited at the wrong bus stop once...)
  • Making perfect Jell-O shots
  • Parallel parking championships
  • Troubleshooting my own computer
  • Starting a blog!
  • Checking my tire pressure AND refilling them (BAM-- who's an adult now?)
  • Driving the deadly freeways of L.A..... and living to tell the tale
Today's Lesson Simplified:


This does not have to be you ^^^ Adult-hood can be exciting, exhilarating and INTERESTING. Challenge yourself to learn something new!




No comments:

Post a Comment