Any time you find an article featuring 'dead whales' in the title, you just have to read on. It's natural human empathy, right? Sort of like sad puppy pictures. They lure you in like an emotional trap! At least that's my philosophy. And this is exactly what happened to me the other day. I read an article about a mysterious desert whale grave site, and bam- I was hooked. Why was there a mass whale die off here? What happened to these poor guys? Did they suffer?! Were there heart-wrenching SPCA commercials about them too??
Better yet, why were they in a desert!? Questions clearly must be answered. Thus, I present to you:
- this giant hand sculpture
- over 1 million people somehow make a living in the Atacama today
- temperatures in the Atacama are actually rather cold, averaging only 32-77 degrees F!
- 'marine fog' is the only harvest-able source of water for locals
- in July 2011, it SNOWED here
The cool articles I read: